What is sales management? Its nothing but managing the sales force. Sales management process consist of building sales team, hiring sales people, training them, guiding them to perform above average and evaluate past & guide future.
- Build sales team: As sales management process first step is to build profitable and customer oriented sales team.
- Hiring sales people: Next step in sales management is hiring right people to sell and lead the sales force.
- Sales training: Most important step is to train the sales force consistently on new policies, products, sales ideas and giving them capability as well as authority to perform.
- Guiding: Apart from training sales employees, sales management process also involves guiding sales force to perform above average.
- Evaluation: Performance evaluation is very important in sales management. Sales manager need to evaluate past and guide for future.
While all this process is going on always a check should be kept on performance of sales force. If not good remove the sales force else continue as we always need the A team on board to generate profits for the company.
Sales force management needs Resources:
- Human capital
- Raw material
- Decentralized decision making
Sales force performance is based on
- Attain sales targets
- Attain market share
- Achieve excellence in customer satisfaction
- Control rejections
- Regain lost customers
- Develop new customer base
- Reduce attrition
At the last sales manager need leadership skills, people skills and management skills to manage a competitive and customer oriented sales force. If sales manager is over crowded and has no time for team then it leads to incompetent sales team.